When you do get a second, or if you’re too busy soaking up the sunshine, then perhaps ask your gardener to complete a few tasks from our top 5 things to do in the oncoming two months.
1. Collect ripe seed from flowering plants, they are everywhere at the moment and keeping them dry and ready for new plants next year is such pleasure, but also quite a cost saver.
2. Give lavender plants a haircut once the flowers have faded, then think about taking a few cuttings for next year. Remember to use sandy compost and keep them well watered in the shade until autumn. Then make a plan to re-pot the rooted plants in spring. – Why not make a lavender lined walk way?
3. To encourage wildlife, sometimes the simple things such as keeping bird baths and ponds topped up with water can make a massive difference. If you do have a pond, now is a good time to check water levels. We love ponds and water features at Landscape Gardeners Woking as they add a relaxing element to any garden.
4. Your roses are more than likely to be ready for pruning back, so with a sharp edge cut above a strong side shoot, low down on the plant.
5. If you have one, think about a wash and tidy of the greenhouse and clean out cold frames before you start to bring plants undercover at the end of September.
That’s it … 5 simple jobs that will make a great difference to the regeneration and continuation of your garden.
If you would like help with these 5 or many other garden tasks, Landscape Gardeners Woking would be delighted to help.
All the best
Neil and the Landscape Gardeners Woking .co.uk Team